The introduction, acceptance, and rapid growth of social media have created a paradigm shift in the way individuals and businesses interact with each other. Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and WhatsApp, etc., are the threads that bind the society together in the digital age. These steadily evolving platforms are bringing incredible transformation in the world around us. From shaping our social and political views to strengthening communication between people from all walks of life, social media is ruling the roost when it comes to governing and influencing human behavior.
From staying in caves to using cutting-edge apps to facilitate seamless communication, the human story is surprisingly inspiring.
According to a Business Insider report, over 2.8 billion people across the globe use social media platforms to communicate with a wide range of people and share their stories.
The Major Social Networking Platforms
Launched by Mark Zuckerberg on February 4, 2004, Facebook enjoys unprecedented popularity among people of all ages across the planet. Yes, it's the most used social networking platform with approximately 2.1 billion monthly users. It's a platform that allows both individuals and businesses to share their opinions, images, and videos, etc., with the whole world. It's changing the way people communicate with each other and with the society as a whole.
For example, now you don't have to wait for the reporters from hardcore print and electronic media to report horrific incidents or success stories from your surroundings; instead, you can take charge of it and share those stories with the thousands of people through Facebook.
Founded by Biz Stone, Evan Williams, Jack Dorsey, and Noah Glass on March 21, 2006, Twitter is also a highly popular social media platform. With around 328 million active monthly users, Twitter is one of the best social networking sites for sharing valuable information instantly. In the last 12 years, the popularity of Twitter has grown like anything, and that's because it allows everyone to voice their opinion.
With more than 1.5 billion daily users, WhatsApp is a Facebook-owned cross-platform messaging app that also allows people to make voice calls and share videos. The demand for this app is increasing day by day among the users because of the simple fact that it makes messaging utterly flawless.
Launched in October 2010, Instagram is a Facebook-owned social networking site that makes it easier for users to share photos and videos instantly. With approximately 700 million monthly users, the popularity of this platform has grown significantly in the last couple of years.
Launched on May 5, 2003, LinkedIn, which was founded by Reid Hoffman, is an online platform for working professionals. Working people use it for connecting with other professionals and for sharing valuable information associated with their industry.
Advantages of Using Social Media Apps
- Platforms like Facebook and LinkedIn are utterly crucial for marketing professionals for sharing the latest updates about their products and services
- Using social media is a great way to create a unique brand identity
- Sharing content on social networking sites help in increasing website traffic
- Social networking sites are also essential for generating leads and for promoting the latest products
- These sites are the best platforms for businesses to connect with their target audience and to engage with them
- Social media is equally beneficial for individuals who want to share their thoughts and opinions about the current issues
- It's a great medium for people to share their success stories with the masses
- It allows people to share their locations to inform others about where they are and what they are doing
Disadvantages of Social Media Apps
- Anyone can create fake accounts on social networking sites to engage in anti-social activities like spreading religious hatred
- Social media accounts are vulnerable to hacking
- Social media addiction is affecting both personal and professional lives of the people
- It's utterly simple to harm anyone's reputation on social media by sharing doctored videos and images
- Excessive use of social networking sites can have a severe impact on human health
Social media apps can have both positive and negative impact on your life based on how you use those apps. If you use them responsibly, you will surely receive their benefits. So, rather than getting addicted to them, you should learn to draw the line. If you use platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp, etc., for helping people and building your business, it will start transforming the world around you quickly.